Friday, December 11, 2009

BWX- Day 3 Implementing the Routine

Lily did much better than I anticipated. She went down for her naps really easily and slept for 2 hours in the morning. The after noon nap she woke up after 40 minutes, but I put her back to sleep for another 10 and then again for another 10. I think once this week is over and she knows the routine, I'll let her have a shorter nap since she wakes up happy.

She did well waiting for 4 hours between feeds until the evening when she was hungry after 3 1/2 hours. I think today I'll cluster feed at 7 and 9 to tank her up for the evening.

Bedtime was harder, because I changed a lot of what she normally goes through. Usually she would have a bath then eat herself to sleep. So I switched those two because I don't want her to associate eating with sleeping. Also, we put her to bed about an hour earlier than we normally do. SO she would sleep for 15 minutes, then wake up then sleep for 15 minutes until her previous bedtime when she was asleep for good. Lastly, Sean put her to bed, which is new. She did OK, but her nose was also stuffed so she kept waking up. Tonight, I'll make sure her nose is clear before I put her to bed. Also, I got her up for a dream feed ( eating without waking up) at 10. She did it fine, ate a full meal without waking up. But I wonder if it made her uncomfortable for the night because she woke up 3 times. (But she put herself to sleep). I think tonight, I'll skip the dream feed and see if she still makes it till 7.

The only beef I have with the book so far is that it contradicts itself a bit. At one point it recommends 4 month olds to have 5 feeds plus a dream feed. Than later it says that a 4 month old should only be eating about every 4 hours, which makes it impossible to feed them 5 times before a dream feed unless you cluster feed at some point...which then null and voids the whole 4 hour thing.

Anyways, I think I am moving towards my goals.

#1- have a regular routine for naps and feeding ( So far so good)
#2- increase nap lengths to at least an hour or an hour and a half ( we'll see if it sticks)
#3- not let her eat herself to sleep unless it's a dream feed

Looking forward to seeing how Day 4 goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.